Outram Research required an app to run on all screen sizes of Android smartphones and tablets, which could communicate with and control their electrical testing equipment in industrial and commercial environments.
Because the high voltage testing equipment it controls often operates in a very dangerous environment, the app communicates with the equipment via Bluetooth. This allows users to control the equipment and read off test results without going near the equipment, or even from outside the building.
Outram Research Ltd are a specialist manufacturer of cutting-edge power quality monitors and analysers.
Their range of testing equipment is used by electrical generation and industrial clients worldwide. Having previously used Windows CE devices to control and monitor their equipment, they decided that these were rapidly becoming obsolete and being superseded by mobile phones and tablets which users were already carrying as a matter of course.
As they wished to supply tablets with their equipment, they chose to use Android devices because of their wide range of prices and models, suitable for all client types.
- Two-way Bluetooth communication to download diagnostic data and control operation of the equipment
- Custom colour and screen adjustment interface to ensure output can be viewed clearly in all light conditions
- Bearded Hen worked with the client to port their existing Windows C++ code to run natively within the Android app. This meant the complex software the client had already developed for controlling the equipment and reading off test results did not have to be entirely recreated for the move to Android
- Live data readouts can be captured as screenshot images for later review or sharing with colleagues
- Re-worked the existing Windows user interface to optimise for Android screen sizes and touch operation
- Configurable interface to incorporate a number of output charts which are tabbed or tiled and resized to fit available screen space
- Real-time views of harmonics, waveforms and measured parameters
- All Android devices
Sorry, this app is supplied with the client’s equipment and is not publicly available. Please get in touch to find out more…